Ah, yes, the days of darkness. They’ve grown in terror in my memory, so I almost start to whimper and whine when I let my mind imagine the winter months here in England. I was woefully unprepared for the lack of sunlight here in the garden of England, and confounded by my very real inability to cope. So, meet my new best friend:
This is not a product endorsement. In fact, if it doesn’t help, it may be a product indictment.
I’ve also been on the receiving end of some very good suggestions for handling the winter blahs. Like:
- wear warm clothing that keeps you dry and lets you get out in all kinds of weather;
- have a stash of warm, comforting drinks that make you feel glow-y inside;
- light the fire and enjoy the bright snapping flames;
- always wear warm wools socks;
- take your vitamin d!;
- eat flavorful soups with strong sweet and sour flavors;
- hang out with people who make you laugh (instead of people like me, who cry about the darkness all the time);
- keep active, at the gym or outside;
- read books that grab you and take you away to immersive and engaging worlds full of interesting characters;
- and book a sunny vacation in the middle of the winter.
I’m not sure that last one is going to be an option, but I know I can handle all the rest. How about you — how do you handle the winter dark days?